The FACE designation is available to AACE members in good standing.
The FACE application period is now open through November 1, 2021.
The non-refundable FACE application fee of $250 USD will be collected prior to beginning the application process. Payment must be through a credit card and most major credit cards are accepted.
During fellowship, AACE community engagement fees are paid at a reduced rate; therefore fellows-in-training do not qualify for FACE at this time. In order to be eligible to apply for FACE distinction, applicants must have completed three (3) consecutive years or more of active dues paying membership in AACE.APPLY NOW
There are three criteria areas that must be met. These include:
- Requirements – Must meet all
- Certification/Training – Must qualify for one
- Checklist – Must have 24 points to be eligible
Application for Fellow of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology (FACE) is open to members in good standing of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology (AACE). Candidates must meet the requirements below.
Requirements for All Applicants
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – Your CV must be specific including start and finish dates for all training and professional experience as well as any additional information that is time sensitive. All listed training periods must be verified by an accompanying certificate indicating start and completion dates. Failure to include this information will result in rejection of your application.
- AACE Annual Meeting – Attended an AACE Annual Meeting in 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2021 (Annual Meeting CME certificate or certificate of attendance for prior years and paid registration for 2021).
- Membership Dues – Have completed three (3) consecutive years or more of dues paying active membership as outlined in the AACE Bylaws. The current year’s dues must have been paid as of January 31st of that year (e.g., when applying in 2021 for the 2022 Fellows Induction Convocation 2021 dues must have been paid for by January 31, 2021). The upcoming year’s dues cannot be applied as one of the three (3) years. (e.g., when applying in 2021 for the 2022 FACE Induction Convocation, dues must have been paid for 2019, 2020 and 2021.) When a year of membership dues are not paid for a year, the three consecutive years requirement starts over. Prior to applying, verify with the AACE staff membership department that your dues are current for three (3) years.
- Certification/Training – You must select one of the following, then upload the supporting documentation for that selection.
- American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) or nationally recognized international equivalent certified endocrinologist (copy of ABMS certification or translated international equivalent certification). This means that the candidate has successfully passed the nationally or internationally recognized certification exam following completion of an approved two-year in-person training program in endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism.
- United States or International board eligible in endocrinology (copy of certificate of completion of in-person endocrine fellowship or translated international equivalent). This is documentation in the form of a certificate indicating completion of an approved two-year in-person endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism training program in good standing. Applicant should submit a detailed description of the curriculum.
- Formal training in endocrinology (Applicant should provide a. copy of certificate of training, b. signed letter from training program director supporting starting and finishing dates of training, c. categories of endocrinology disorders that were included in training, and d. specific endocrine-related duties of trainee).
- United States board certified in an endocrinology-related subspecialty which is closely aligned with endocrinology, diabetes, and metabolism. (Copy of ABMS certification or national certification program required).
- Board certified in areas other than endocrinology that perform 50% or more endocrine-related medicine. (Required documentation includes copy of ABMS certification national certification, a personal letter describing clinical practice).
- Clinical Practice – As of the date of your application, you must have completed the equivalent of three (3) years of full time clinical endocrine practice after completion of training.
- Letters of Recommendation – Submit two (2) professional letters of recommendation. At least one (1) letter must be from a member with FACE or MACE (Master of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology). FACE or MACE distinction must be indicated in the signature line of the letter.
- Prior to requesting a letter from a colleague, confirm their AACE membership through the AACE website at www.aace.com.
- Letters must be uploaded during the application online process. DO NOT have letters sent to AACE.
- Letters must be individualized. Similar letters will result in rejection of the application.
- Letters of recommendation from other candidates applying for FACE distinction are not acceptable.
- If accepted for FACE – Applicants accepted must register to attend and be present at the AACE Annual Meeting and participate in the Fellows Induction Convocation. Applicant dues must be paid by January 31st of the convocation year. (e.g., Applying in 2021 for the 2022 Fellows Induction Ceremony, dues for 2022 must be paid by January 31, 2022). In order to maintain the honorific distinction of Fellow of the American Association of Clinical Endocrinology, you must continue to be an active member of AACE and complete the renewal requirements. Requirements to keep your FACE designation are listed here.
Now Available: New Checklist for FACE Distinction Eligibility
Please use this checklist to determine if you are eligible prior to paying the nonrefundable $250. Download our FACE criteria checklist to see if you are eligible to apply for FACE distinction. Eligible applicants must have at least 24 total points within the last 3 years, along with supporting documentation.DOWNLOAD CHECKLIST
- Items marked with red asterisk * are required.
- All required documentation must be included in order for your application to be submitted.
- Read the entire application prior to completing the application to make sure you have all the documentation ready for upload.
- Only PDF files can be uploaded. For documentations consisting of multiple files, scan or convert the documents into one PDF file. Scan according to the criteria areas: Certification/Training and Professional Experience. Scan your files to one document prior to beginning the application.
- Some documentation, such as your CV, may be used for several criteria. You must upload it for each criteria area.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – Your CV must be very specific including start and finish dates for any information that is listed in your CV. (i.e., Requirements in Professional Experience). All listed training periods must be verified by an accompanying certificate indicating start and completion dates. Failure to include this information will result in rejection of your application.
- Documentation - If you are uncertain about the documentation, submit similar documentation and the FACE Application Committee will review the documentation on a case-by-case basis. The AACE President can approve a FACE application in unusual cases which are not covered by any of the specified criteria.
- If an applicant’s qualifications cannot be objectively verified, the application will be deferred until such time as ambiguities are clarified. Verification is the responsibility of the candidate, not AACE.
- The AACE President can approve a FACE application in unusual cases which are not covered by any of the specific criteria below.
- September 6, 2021 8:00 am EST - November 1, 2021 5:00 pm EST - FACE Application period
- January - Application review
- February - Acceptance or denial letters emailed
- March - Induction instructions emailed
- TBD - AACE Annual Scientific and Clinical Congress
- TBD - Convocation (Attendance mandatory to receive FACE)
Letters of Recommendation
While letters of recommendation should not be sent to AACE, before uploading, they should be addressed to:
Dr. Felice A. Caldarella, MD, MBA, FACP, CDCES, FACE
American Association of Clinical Endocrinology (AACE)
7643 Gate Pkwy, Ste 104-328
Jacksonville, FL 32256
These letters will need to be placed in one file to upload. See #4 under Application Instructions for options.
Visa to travel to the United States
If you must apply for a visa to travel to the United States please do so immediately after receiving your letter of acceptance. For visa letter, check with the AACE community support at [email protected]
For more information or answers to your questions, contact [email protected].