Risk Assessment & Goals - The Cholesterol Hypothesis to the Cholesterol Principle: Genetic, Epidemiologic, and Clinical Trials Proving Causality
Download Slides (PDF)
- The Cholesterol Hypothesis, also known as the Lipid Hypothesis, postulates a direct link between blood cholesterol levels and CHD.
- Studies show a higher and earlier occurrence of heart disease in patients with higher blood lipid levels.
- Strategies to decrease plasma lipid levels (primarily LDL - C) reduces CHD risk at the patient and population level.
- Although other CHD risk factors exist, the causal role of lipid accumulation in CHD pathogenesis has been shown in clinical, epidemiologic, and genetic analyses.
- Based on the strength of available evidence, is it time to rename the “Cholesterol Hypothesis” the “Cholesterol Principle”?